Tuesday, May 02, 2006


I LOVE THE NAME AZIZ

Somehow, I could get along with anyone by that name. My favourite Aziz person is En Aziz Hamdan, the former THR.fm's CEO.

We hit it off instantly over a telephone interview. We became friends after I interviewed him over the suspended Kontrolversi programme, which was helmed by Richie Rahman. This controversial program was axed as it allegedly carried certain sexual innuendoes. Kontrolversi had created a stir after an MP brought the matter up in Parliament.

We spoke at length over the telephone. It was almost like meeting up with an old friend. From friendly talks, we gradually progressed to discussing projects. En Aziz is a supportive person who is open to new ideas. So, when I propose to do a radio talk-show called "Scoop Sensasi" a collaborative effort between WHAM and THR.fm, he was more than willing to give it a go.

myspace code
Myspace Code: MyNiceSpace.com



The talk show became a hit and En Aziz was quick to credit me for it. How could an idea take off if the support system wasn't there? With En Aziz it was so easy. He gave a lot of room for me to grow.

It was always..."Ok, we'll do it." And the rest just flowed.
En Aziz and I was especially proud of "Scoop Sensasi" as the program was a hit and ran for over a year. It featured journalists, top artistes and public relations practitioners in the entertainment industry. For one year, we had to field the best topics, issues and top drawing artistes to pull in the crowd.

It was hard work but no one complained. My reporter friends were all so supportive to chip in when the need required. I felt guity having to call the same people again and again but that's how it is. The reliable ones are a handful like Dalilah Ibrahim, Wani Muthiah, Abie Abdullah, Saharuddin Mustapha, Saniboey, Zainal Alam Kadir and Siti Rohayah Atan.
We had called Hani Mohsin and Chef Wan on air to discuss the dispute between them. The reporters acted like a team of firing squad who behaved more like a batu api. We felt guilty of instigating the hot discussion.

But memorable all the same when Chef Wan broke down on air and the phone never stopped ringing since. When we tried to grill Mohsin on the air in the next episode, En Aziz called in to ask us to go easy on him. Mohsin was an old friend so it was understandable. However, En Aziz rarely interfered in the running of the programmes but he was very involved.

He would listen raptly and passed his comments after the show. If we get an invite for an assumptuous lunch at American Chillis then we know it was a job well done.
Scoop Sensasi was provocative which touched on current issues like the failed Malay movies, the sensational cuts in Embun, the "bias" policy of Istana Budaya and how to master several langguages with multitalented Mahadzir Lokman.

Scoop Sensasi was created in 2002. Four years down the road, we have Fenomena Seni over TV1. Somehow, it sounded tame compared to Scoop. Maybe I am bias.
The next project that we worked together was the “feel good” mission for the Siamese twins Ahmad and Muhammad, inviting listeners to send cards, e-mails and letters to wish them a quick recovery after an operation to separate them in Saudi Arabia.
The station hit thousand well-wishes.

Then it was "Sumber Ilhamku" paying tribute to the greatest Malaysian composer Datuk Ahmad Nawab who had written more than 2,000 songs and groomed over 75 artistes which include the biggest names in the Malaysian music industry.

Having been around for 40 years in show business, Ahmad Nawab is still a hit with Malaysians. He could still blow his saxophone away to the delight of his fans. The program featured more than 200 golden melodies and it was aired non-stop for 14 hours from Aug 22 at 8pm.
The unusual record-breaking feat entitled Ahmad Nawab for entry into the Malaysia Book of Records as “Composer with the Most Number of Songs” and for THR.fm to get an entry for “Most Number of Songs in a Show”.

"20 Best Hits of Ahmad Nawab” on Aug 23 rounded-off THR.fm’s feat for that day. There were exhibition of Ahmad Nawab’s works, a karaoke competition and performances by music students from higher institutions, all were displayed and conducted at the Menara Kuala Lumpur.

“An exclusive dinner at the private Mega View Banquet Deck with 300 special guests was the culmination of the whole show." It was indeed a rare night for everyone. Especially so for me because I ended straight into Pantai Hospital on the night of the event as I had food poisoning which almost costs me my life as I was seven months pregnant.

En Aziz is a special friend who is almost like a sibling. We could sit down for hours at the coffee house sharing a plate of mee mamak and if we become the brunt of wild gossip. Our open friendship is an envy to many. Can't help it if we could click instantly.

Though we hardly spend time together as both of us are tied up with work, we would catch up whenever we have the time. Our favourite meeting places were Coffee Bean infront of PJ Hilton and Eastin Hotel, as it was most convenient for me.

En Aziz is a man of few words when he chose to. He often advised me to start writing my book and get it published as he thinks I am a good story-teller.
He still cuts a handsome figure with his distinguished good looks though he is a bit on the heavy side. A good friend is a rare gem and En Aziz is just that, the kind of friend who would help you no matter what.

Just last week he bailed me out again when I told him about my battle with termites. En Aziz has a soft spot for kids and seeing how my kids live in the ramshackle house infested by termites must have moved him.

I remember En Aziz giving me a Nokia handphone when I was mugged at McDonalds in SS2 in 2001. It was the sweetest gift that left me speechless for a while. I needed a handphone badly as I lost everything in my handbag. I was like a woman with no identity, no money and personal belongings. He knew a handphone is important so he gave it to me. Rosni, En Aziz's most trusted aide and our common friend, was just as thrilled when she saw my joy.

We also share the same passion for food. Evertime I talk to En Aziz, he would always ask me to be patient and take it one day at a time. Just because he has a jovial disposition, not many people know that he is actually a sensitive person.

He used to tell me stories of his "fair weather" friends. I could detect the hurt in his voice. Naturally, he felt the hurt and betrayal after helping these friends. I know exactly how he feels. I was there once and I am still there!